The name may imply danger, but one bite will change your mind: they’re chocolate heaven. The cake itself is enough to make an impression. However, when topped with Grandma Tobie’s frosting, they reach a new height in confectionery delight.
1 ½ cups firmly packed brown sugar
½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa
¾ cup warm water
1 cup cake flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ cup (4 ounces) sour cream
Grandma Tobies Frosting
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream together the brown sugar and butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about five minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, stir the cocoa powder and water until smooth.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
5. Add eggs, vanilla to brown sugar and butter. Mix at medium speed until combined. Use a rubber spatula to scrape sides of the bowl making sure egg is evenly incorporated.
6. Add one third of the cocoa mixture to the flour mixture, alternating with one third of the egg mixture. Mix at low speed after each addition until blended. Repeat, alternating, until cocoa mixture and butter mixture are combined with flour mixture.
7. Mix in the sour cream until combined.
8. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full, and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool.
9. Spread cupcakes with Grandma Tobies tasty chocolate sour cream frosting.
Yields 24 cupcakes.
Grandma Tobie’s Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
½ cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1. Melt the chocolate and butter together over a double boiler or in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Let cool. (You can make a double boiler by setting a metal bowl over a saucepan of boiling water. Dont let boiling water touch the bottom of the metal bowl.)
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the sour cream with the chocolate mixture.
3. Mix in 2 cups of powdered sugar at medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth.
Yields 2 cups.