From hiking a panoramic peak in the Blue Ridge Mountains to curling your toes in the Lowcountry sand, the Carolinas promise endless possibilities. Explore it all and lodge lavishly with a stay at one of our favorite luxury Carolina hotels.
Montage Palmetto Bluff is South Carolina’s luxury riverside destination. Nestled along the May River between Hilton Head and Savannah, this 20,000 acre resort exudes the Lowcountry’s rich greenery and waterside lifestyle.
- With eight restaurants on-site at this luxury Carolina hotel, making time for dinner at the resort’s river-to-table cuisine, Octagon Porch, is a must. Embrace the old Southern porch ambience as you enjoy fresh oysters and roasted beet salad for a refreshing, locally-sourced meal.
- Combine a morning of fitness and sightseeing as you paddle board your way through the property’s winding lagoons.
- Relax and unwind at The Montage’s renown spa—incorporating the river’s natural elements into some of its services, such as the rejuvenating full body mud mask.
The Dewberry is one of Charleston’s most luxurious preserved hotels, designed to deliver the richness of the city’s history with the refined, eclectic touches of developer John Dewberry. Situated in the heart of Charleston, guests can enjoy both the hotel’s luxurious amenities as well as the city’s vibrant attractions.
- Indulge in a scrumptious brunch at the hotel’s French brasserie style restaurant— order up the Banana Bread French Toast or Lobster Glazed Omelet.
- Deepen your stay with an open-air yoga class located on the rooftop terrace with Charleston’s cityscape as an inspiring, calming backdrop.
- Wander down the cobblestone streets for drinks and a quick bite at The Gin Joint, a bar featuring seasonally and locally inspired drinks, like the Skip To My Lou made with gin, purple cabbage, lemon byrrh, cassis, fennel, smoked honey and boston bitters.
Zero George is an immaculately restored boutique hotel in Charleston, adhering to its 1804 roots while incorporating the stylish notes of its evolving city. With sixteen different lush guest rooms, each suite was designed to provide intimate comfortability and a timeless, Southern chic aesthetic in this luxury Carolina hotel.
- Drop by the Zero Restaurant at their daily happy hour for a refreshing, hand-crafted cocktail, such as the Alter Ego (Hendrick’s gin, lavender, lime, habanero citrus foam and burlesque bitters.) The restaurant also offers an array of cooking classes, challenging you to delve into the art of Southern cuisine.
- Enjoy a sunset harbor cruise on your very own yacht to cap off a day of exploring the Holy City—entirely arranged by the hotel’s personalized concierge service.
- Peruse one of Charleston’s oldest antebellum structures, the Joseph Manigault house, to catch a glimpse of luxury living, 19th-century style.
Grand Bohemian Asheville
Central to all things Asheville, the Grand Bohemian makes itself known with its intriguing exterior—but that’s only the half of it. Its warm interior integrates the coziness of the Blue Ridge mountains with a rustic design and stunning antiques carried throughout.
- Try a new dish at the hotel’s Red Stag Grill, such as their thick house-smoked grilled bacon over a mini cornbread waffle topped with spiced pepper jelly and two eggs—pair it with a pomegranate mimosa for a brunch twist.
- Take advantage of the hotel’s proximity to America’s largest residential home built by George Vanderbilt in the 1880’s—The Biltmore Estate—where the breathtaking architecture and design will undoubtedly leave you in awe.
- Cap off a long day of exploring with a bottle of wine and charcuterie board at 5 Walnut, located in the heart of downtown and enjoy their nightly live music.
The Kimpton Cardinal Hotel – Winston-Salem
The architectural inspiration for the Empire State Building, the historic R.J. Reynolds building is now home to The Kimpton Cardinal Hotel, overlooking the best of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Its crisp, modern interior meets Southern flair, as the hotel exudes the versatility of the city—surrounded by the Downtown Arts District, Old Salem Museum & Garden, and the esteemed Wake Forest University.
- Grab dinner at one of Winston-Salem’s finest southern restaurants, Mozelle’s. Choose the famous Shrimp and Grits finished with prosciutto and a sherry cream sauce for a classic choice or opt for the fresh catch over spaghetti squash noodles, red chiles, pecorino romano, brown butter, and lemony arugula.
- Delve into the rich history of R.J. Reynolds at the Reynolda Historic District for a chance to explore the Reynolda house, exquisite gardens, intriguing exhibits and unique shopping.
- Start off your morning at the beloved Krankies Coffee for a cozy cup-of-joe and a delectable homemade pastry or scrumptious fried chicken biscuit.
The Swag – The Great Smoky Mountains
The Swag is a private, all-inclusive resort nestled atop The Great Smoky Mountains of North Carolina. With stunning mountain top views, intimate accommodations and several winding hiking trails, The Swag has no shortage of mountainside charm.
- Recharge with a fresh picnic lunch in one of the romantic treehouses on site.
- Hike your way through The Great Smoky Mountains in search of adventure—from tranquil strolling paths to invigorating slopes, The Swag has a variety of hiking trails to accommodate every traveler.
The Umstead Hotel & Spa
Located in Cary, North Carolina, the Umstead Hotel and Spa sits a little outside the hustle and bustle of the city, allowing you to fully escape and disengage without depriving you of the Triangle Area’s many attractions. Nestled on over 12 acres of plush greenery with a lake, The Umstead is known for its cohesive combination of nature and restoration.
- Stop by for a wholesome breakfast at Heron’s, the hotel’s signature restaurant. Order up the crab cake benedict and fresh pressed antioxidant juice or opt for a lighter option with a refreshing acai bowl topped with fresh fruit and manuka honey.
- As a guest at The Umstead, a visit to the renown Umstead Spa is a must. Indulge in the Red Flower Hammam Ritual for an invigorating full-body experience—beginning with an exfoliating lemon coffee scrub, followed by a cocooning sensation of warm white clay and concluded with cardamom amber oil.
- Venture into the Durham area to catch of glimpse of beautifully architectured Duke Chapel before making your way to Franklin Street for a rustic mediterranean meal at Kipo’s Greek Taverna, where everything is authentically prepared, from the wood-fired lamb chops to the homemade tzatziki and freshly baked pita.
With your choice of lodge, luxury condominium, or room at the Bob Timberlake Inn, The Chetola Resort spreads 87-acres of Blowing Rock, North Carolina, engulfed in the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
- Surrounded by invigorating nature, Chetola offers an array of sport and adventure packages, such as fly fishing, kayaks and paddle boards, and guided hiking trails.
- Grab a quick bite before an afternoon of exploring at Timberlake’s, the resort’s very own restaurant. Try the Balsamic Blueberry Grilled Cheese infused with blueberry compote, melty havarti cheese and fresh spinach on grilled sourdough.
- A trip to the Blue Ridge wouldn’t be complete without tackling its highest peak, Grandfather Mountain. Catch an adrenaline rush as you cross the mile-high swinging bridge and sitesee for black bears or river otters.
Located in the heart of Greenville, South Carolina, the Westin Poinsett is within walking distance to many of the city’s attractions, such as The Symphony and the Greenville Zoo.
- Stay focused with an array of fitness activities the Westin Poinsett has to offer, including guided fitness classes or opt to explore the city with RunWESTIN.
- Unwind after a day of exploring downtown Greenville at the Lobby Lounge for drinks at the piano bar.
- Opt for a thrilling off-road BMW experience followed by an exhilarating lap or two around the track testing out the inventory at the BMW Performance Center.
Stay close to home and outside the bustle of Uptown for a relaxing weekend at the Ballantyne Resort & Spa. With luxurious, resort-style amenities, such as the beloved spa and golf course academy, your stay at the Ballantyne Resort will feel miles away from reality.
- Indulge in the resort’s specialty, their on-site spa. Book a full day of relaxing treatments such as the Carolina Lavender Escape package, including a lavender-infused body wrap, massage, facial, manicure and pedicure, and even a lavender-flavored cocktail.
- If golfing is your forte, opt for the generous Golf Haven package featuring two rounds of golf per day along with breakfast for two at the Gallery Restaurant.
- Top off the day with dinner at the resort’s locally inspired Southern cuisine. Start with the refreshing Beet & Watercress salad and finish with the Sea Scallops over an heirloom squash puree and collard greens topped with a savory herb chili oil.
Conveniently located in the vibrant heart of Uptown Charlotte, the Ritz-Carlton needs little introduction. The Charlotte location accentuates its luxury with the delectable treats at Bar Cocoa and mixing wizard Bob Peters’ The Punch Room.
- If a little self-pampering is on your agenda, spend the morning at the Ritz’s world-class spa for a deep-tissue massage or restoring facial.
- Stumble upon one of Charlotte’s hidden treasures on the 15th floor: The Punch Room is a speakeasy-style cocktail bar and lounge. Indulge in one of the carefully-crafted cocktails, such as the Basic But Not infused with cucumber, basil, tomato oil, lillet blanc and Cathead vodka.
- Take a stroll through Uptown before popping into North Carolina’s first art museum, The Mint Museum, only a quarter mile from your stay.
Kimpton Tryon Park
As one of the newer additions to Charlotte’s hospitality scene, the Kimpton blends Southern tradition with the city’s bustling energy.
- To stay at the Kimpton allows you to also experience its highly sought after rooftop bar, Merchant + Trade. Sip on a classic cocktail such as the M&T Old Fashion as you take in its 360 view of Uptown Charlotte.
- Grab dinner at the Kimpton’s very own Italian cuisine, Angeline’s, for authentic wood-fired pizza or pasta on its secluded, European-inspired outdoor patio.
- Embrace the energy of Uptown with any number of the esteemed performances at the Blumenthal Performing Arts Center just a few steps away.
The Ivey’s Hotel is home to one of the few remaining historic buildings in Uptown. This boutique destination is dazzled with an elegant ambience and lavish amenities, perfect for a staycation close to home.
- At the Ivey’s, you won’t regret spending a relaxing night in, especially with room service by 5 Church, a local 5-star cuisine. Request a European-style soaking tub and slip into a complementary plush robe and slippers for an ideal night in.
- Take advantage of the Ivey’s exclusive Library Lounge, where you can find decadent local treats in the mornings and daily cheese and charcuterie boards in the evenings.
- Take a short walk to Sea Level for dinner before taking on a night Uptown. Opt for the freshest seafood in town, such as their famous oyster selection.
Unique from many of the other luxurious stays in Charlotte, this escalated bed and breakfast encompasses everything you need for an intimate staycation, including elegantly designed guest suites and complimentary breakfast.
- Stroll through the mansion’s very own enchanting garden, stretching almost five acres, for a refreshing way to enjoy your morning cup of coffee or evening glass of wine.
- Only a short walk away, you can find the Om Spa, where you can enjoy a relaxing massage or facial service.
- Relish in the beauty of the historic neighborhood of Elizabeth as you walk down to Stagioni’s for a dinner of Chef Bruce Moffet’s local Italian cuisine. Indulge in seasonally-inspired handmade pastas, such as the seared potato gnocchi, and share a bottle of authentic Italian wine.